Friday, December 26, 2008

22 weeks!

I hope everyone had a great Christmas! We sure did! Sorry for the late update, but today is Chris' birthday and we have been gone all day.

Everything is going great. Just getting bigger and bigger by the day! I'm starting to be able to sense the girls' personalities...well, the best I can at this point anyways. Baby A is the more active baby. She moves around quite a bit more than Baby B. Baby B gets wiggly while I'm eating, and then in the evening while I'm relaxing. But Baby A wiggles and kicks periodically throughout the day. I'm willing to bet that Baby A is going to be the more active of the girls, and Baby B will be the more laid back one. It will be interesting to see if I am correct. Only time will tell...M&B will have to let me know someday. ;)

Well here's what the babies are up to this week:

  • Baby weighs close to a pound at this point!
  • Baby can now hear your conversations more clearly than before!. When you talk, read, or sing, expect her to hear you. Studies have found that newborns will suck more vigorously when read to from a book they heard frequently in utero.
  • Eyelids and eyebrows are fully formed.
  • Fingernails have grown to the end of the fingers.
  • Be prepared for all those "Why" questions coming! Your baby's brain has entered a stage of rapid growth, especially in what's called the germinal matrix. This structure deep in the middle of the brain serves as a kind of factory for brain cells and disappears shortly before birth. But the brain's amazing expansion program continues until around the five birthday.
  • With some help from mom, baby's liver is starting to break down bilirubin, a substance produced by red blood cells.
  • If your baby is male his testes begin their descent to the scrotum.
  • Primitive sperm have formed and he is producing testosterone.
  • Length is 10.94 inches (27.8cm); weight is nearly 1 pound (430gm).

I thought about doing another belly pic today but decided the change will be easier to tell if I give it some time between photos. I've heard a big growth spurt occurs around 22 weeks...so we'll see!

No comments: