I had an appointment yesterday but it was boring and uneventful. I didn't even get to see my own doctor because she was out doing some kind of emergency surgery. So luckily they were able to squeeze me in with another doctor. They just did all the basic stuff...urine check, weight, blood pressure, fundal height (uterus measurement), and checked the babies' heartbeats. I start going every week now, and my next appointment is Wednesday which is right around the corner already. Each appointment (biophysical profile) will be approximately 90 minutes. I will start with an ultrasound, then a non-stress test, and then see the doctor which I assume will include cervix checks. I thought I was supposed to have a cervix check yesterday but the doctor said that the number of contractions I've been having aren't worrisome and not enough to change my cervix. I suppose we'll see for sure next week. I'm just glad I'll get to actually see my own doctor! I haven't gotten to see her in a long time. The doctor yesterday also gave me some Metamucil samples (pills, powder, and wafers) to try and see which form I like better. The iron pills they have me taking have caused some major constipation (ew, I know) and the Colace and tons of water aren't helping. Sooooo, hopefully I will have some relief soon!
Well, enough about me. Here's the 30 week update:
- Baby is nearly 3 pounds now (but I'm sure the girls are bigger than that!)
- Her head is getting larger to accommodate a period of rapid brain growth. Don't forget to continue to "teach" baby in the womb by exposing to music, literature, and simply talking to her.
- A pint and a half of amniotic fluid surrounds her. As she grows and fills your uterus, the amount of amniotic fluid will decrease. Funny, you certainly won't feel any lighter!
- She spends more and more time practicing opening and closing eyelids. Her eyes can move from side to side, following a light source. She may even reach out to touch the light.
- Early lanugo is beginning to disappear that served to protect your baby's skin from the water in the womb. Your little one's own hair may begin to appear.
- Toenails are entering their final growth stage.
- Bone marrow is now in charge of red blood cell production. These red blood cells will continue to service your child's body by transporting oxygen and removing the wastes (carbon monoxide and other gases).
- Baby has the capability now to produce tears -- yes, within the womb.
- By the end of this week, baby is now 15.7 inches (39.9cm) long and weighs 2.91 pounds (1319gm).