Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Random information about me

I figured it was time to let my readers get to know me better so I am going to write a bit about myself. I think even my close friends who read this blog will learn a thing or two about me that they never knew.

I was born on July 16th, 1981 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. We then moved to Texas, and then settled in Memphis, TN when I was 4. When I was in 1st grade my teacher saw something special in me and recommended I get tested for the gifted program. I was tested and put into the 'CLUE' program, which I stayed in through 9th grade (when they no longer offer it). I was in all Honors classes in high school, and was a flute player in the band. I was the principal (top) player in the flute section almost the entire time from 7th through 11th. I graduated in the summer of 1998 through summer school. I took Senior English and Economics which enabled me to graduate a year early. I turned 17 right before I graduated and then immediately started college at the University of Memphis. It was tough being 17 when all my college friends were older. I was still living at home and didn't get to go out and do the things my older friends could do. I was in the concert band and marching band throughout college, and was in fact on a full tuition scholarship because of it. I was promoted into the top band (The Wind Ensemble) where I was the piccolo player. My fall was full of Tiger football games and my spring was full of Tiger basketball games; both semesters with Wind Ensemble practices, concerts, flute lessons, and master classes throughout. I also had a part time job at Target so I was pretty busy.

I met Chris through a mutual friend in the summer of 1999. We met and started dating immediately and within 6 months we were married (2/14/2000). I stopped going to school right after we got married and took a year and a half off. I got bored and missed my friends so I re-enrolled in the fall of 2001. I then decided to change my major from Psychology to Music Business. Chris and I had been trying to have a baby since early 2001, and we didn't succeed in getting pregnant until March 2003. I had been on the birth control shot (Depo Provera) and it had really done a number on my body. I had gained 50 pounds in 3 months when I first started the shot, and was unable to get pregnant 2 years after my last injection. We were elated when we finally saw those 2 lines. I was still in school, but the timing worked out perfectly. I was on winter break when Ian was born on December 11, 2003. My mother in law helped out by watching Ian for a few hours Mon-Thurs for me to attend day classes. Then when Chris was home from work I went to night classes. Eventually I was able to only take night classes so we didn't have to rely on Chris' mom for help. In the summer of 2005 I felt like I was ready for another child. It only took a day to talk Chris into it even though we had previously said that Ian was enough. I had my Mirena IUD removed at the end of July and by September I was pregnant again. I graduated college in December 2005.

Around that time we felt that Memphis had nothing left to offer us. Chris' parents had moved to Minneapolis for job purposes earlier that year so we had no family left there. My parents had split up several years earlier and my mother moved to Washington with my 2 sisters and 1 brother, and my stepdad moved to Florida. So we went to Minneapolis to visit Chris' parents for Christmas, and while we were there Chris had two interviews set up. Both companies wanted to hire him! We struggled over which job to choose, and we ultimately chose the smaller company with a more family-friendly feel to it, even though it paid less. We put our house on the market in January. The plan was for Chris to start his job in February in Minneapolis, and Ian and I would stay behind in Memphis until the house sold. Well one of my friends ended up buying the house from us right before it was time for Chris to go, so we all got to go as a family.

We stayed with Chris' parents for a couple months until we found a nice house to rent. Quinn was born June 1, 2006. We lived in that house for 2 years, and recently bought our dream home.

So that was my 'story'. Here are some useless facts:

Favorite kind of food: Its a tie between Mexican food and Buffalo Wings
Favorite junkfood: M&Ms of all kinds, especially peanut and peanut butter
Favorite color: Yellow
Pets: None, but we used to have 3 cats and 2 greyhound dogs
Favorite TV shows: Lost, Medium, Nip/Tuck, House, Smallville
Favorite singer: Fiona Apple
Favorite actor/actress: Russell Crowe, Reese Witherspoon
Favorite movie: Gladiator
Favorite sport to play: Softball
Favorite sport to watch: NBA and college basketball
Hobbies: scrapbooking, card making, and now gardening
Religion: Christian (attend a Four-square non-denominational church)
Goals/Ambitions: get into the best possible physical shape (all of us), be debt free, travel the world

I think that's enough for now! :)

No comments: