Thursday, March 19, 2009

34 weeks!

I wont technically be 34 weeks until tomorrow but since I had an appointment today I decided to go ahead and do the 34 weeks update along with my appointment update.

So, yeah! 34 weeks! The doctor said that at this point if I go into labor, they wont try to stop it and the girls will be fine, just may possibly need a little time in the hospital to fatten up and get their blood sugar stabilized. It's exciting, and kind of scary, to be in this "could go at any time" phase! Ideally we all want to make it to 36 weeks. At that point the girls will more than likely be able to go right home after a couple days.

Both girls passed their biophysical profiles with perfect scores today. They both did all their body movements pretty quickly, and then finally did their breathing movements. At the beginning they both had hiccups at the same time too! It was fun to watch them on the screen. I felt bad for them though...the hiccups lasted for a bit! The u/s tech didn't measure them this week so I have no idea what their estimated weights are. She said its better to do them every other week but up to this point I have had them every week anyways. Ah well. I imagine they are at least 5 pounds each now, considering they were over 4.5 pounds last week. I know its all an estimation and we wont know for sure until they are born though!

I might have lost some of my mucus plug (yuck, sorry) earlier this week. I asked the doctor if that would mean I have dilated further and she said yes. But she also said at this point it doesn't matter so she didn't check my cervix. So I could be sitting at 3cm right now! I think 4cm is considered labor...but I dont know for a fact. I remember when I was induced with my boys, both times they broke my water once I got to 4cm. So we'll see! I am really quite nervous about my water breaking. I've never had it happen spontaneously before. I wonder if it will happen when I get up to pee, or if it will happen in the shower, on the toilet, at church!!??

Which reminds me...I've got to get my bag packed!! Its hard because most of what I'd pack is stuff I use every day. But I need to at least get it started. I think I might buy some new jammies to wear in the hospital. Most of my jammies are from Old Navy several years ago....so its time for some new ones!

My next appointment is next Friday, the 27th at 9:45am. And yet again, I will not get to see my doctor. I will be seeing a totally different doctor than even the one I've seen the last 2 weeks. That frustrates me. I have to have this appointment every week, but they can barely accomodate me! What happens if I need to set up one more after this one, and they have nothing available Wed, Thur, or Fri? I guess I'd have the one on Fri, and then come back on Mon or Tues, which seems like a total waste. I think maybe I'm overthinking this and should just not worry about it...LOL.

My BP was 120/60, gained one more pound (total weight gain = 36 pounds), and urine was clear of ketones and protein. Still no swelling, too. So all in all, a very good appointment!!

Here is the 34 week development update for the girls (and do remember that twins develop faster than singletons, so the girls are usually further ahead than these updates say):
  • Baby acts completely like a newborn, with her eyes opened when awake and closed when sleeping. You may also find her settling into more of a routine for sleeping & awake times.
  • She has learned to blink. She can also see more clearly when there is a bright light on your stomach and probably has the outline of all your organs memorized!
  • Antibodies from your blood are being transferred to her. These immunities continue to build until birth. Then breast milk will add even more protection against disease.
  • Baby may have already turned to a head-down position in preparation for birth. If she is your first baby, she may be settling into the pelvis with her head pressing against your cervix.
  • Fingernails have reached the end of the fingertips now. She may scratch her face even before she is born!
  • Your little one's length is 17.7 inches (45cm) and weight is 4.7 pounds (2146 g).
And here is my belly, which never ceases to amaze me with its ability to get bigger and bigger, week after week! LOL. It appears to be a bit lower as well, as now I have a little bit hanging down over my pants in the front, which I didn't have last week. PS - say hi to Quinn, peeking in on the side!

1 comment:

Sanda said...

Happy 34 weeks!! Sounds like everything is going really good!
Hi to Quinn! :)